Sunday, June 20, 2010

DO DADS LOVE VEGETABLES?

They do when they taste like this.  This morning, I baked Glorious Morning Muffins for my husband.  D. is a wonderful Dad, kind, caring, patient and loving.  He and my teenage son play together as friends, but he is also firm when he needs to be.  I tell my son that my hope for him, is to grow up to be the same kind of Dad as my husband.  In fact, these muffins are a lot like him - sweet, hearty, unassuming, and healthy...ish. 
Give them a try for your favorite Dad.  (I guess I should make them for mine,too).
Sift together in a large bowl:
 2 1/4 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
1Tbsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. ginger
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Stir into mixture:
2 cups grated carrot
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
In a separate bowl, whisk
3 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup applesauce
2 tsp. vanilla
Pour this mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients.  Blend just until mixed, DO NOT OVERMIX.  Spoon into muffin pans until full (I use the fluted paper cups, because you won't have to grease the pan,  so clean up easy). Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 - 16 minutes (the range is great, because cooking times vary.  It took me 18 minutes, but the way you tell if they are done is to sink a toothpick into the center and it should come out clean, with very few wet crumbs.  Plus, you'll know because the tops are nice and brown and they smell wonderful.  Feel free to add your favorite ingredients for extra flavor.  They'll be a hit with your Dad!
Happy Father's Day, to all the wonderful Dads in my life, including my Father-in-Law, because I am his favorite daughter-in-law, and with a very special Happy Father's Day to my own unique, smart and funny Dad, who I am so lucky to have in my life, and who loves to cook, just like I do!
Love ya', Dad!  Cheerio'!

5 comments:

  1. Those muffins sound delicious. I have a new ceramic muffin pan that I haven't used yet. I may have to mix up a batch of these and test it out.

    You are blessed to still have your Dad to celebrate with on this Father's Day.

    Thanks for the lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love muffins =) I'll have to whip up a batch for my Daddy next time I visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He sounds like a wonderful guy! And those muffins sound deelish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments. Go ahead, Confections, use that new muffin pan. Alice, you won't be sorry! Athena, you are so right. he's great!

    And please let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails